It's not the act of cheating that is horrible or does you in... it is how you cheat and with whom you cheat that makes the difference. I recently interviewed Chef and Cookbook author Jenny Iserloh, better known as the Skinny Chef. We talked about super foods, her latest book "Fifty Shades of Kale" and healthier options that are quick and easy. And as she explains in her book, Mistress Kale is very easy: and she is the perfect partner in crime to cheat. She instantly makes a dish healthier, inviting and more satisfying. Others, will never know the difference, making it okay to sneak her into recipes.
Another way to cheat, is to save time. Jenny Iserloh created a line of "Skinny Chef Super Food Sauces". They all have a hint of heat, to help boost your metabolism and a super food as an ingredient. These sauces make cooking fun, and take away the nagging labor intensive recipes and boring flavor. Your taste buds instantly feel alive again. So as you can see, your taste buds get to have what they need and a little something on the side. It's okay to check out other flavors. Losing weight doesn't have to be bland. It can be exciting, with a little bit of cheating.
Below are some recipes inspired by the Skinny Chef, The Meadow and some are my own. I hope you enjoy a new year, cheating your way to being skinny.
(Recipe via The Meadow in NYC)
Black Truffle Honey Butter Popcorn with Champagne Slide Show
(Boston Scarlette's Recipe)
(because microwaves are horrible..and its fun: especially if you have large breasts, this can be entertaining for your man to watch you make, as you shake it.)
Black Truffle Salt
Remove lid from Jiffy Pop and place on stove top burner. Hold handle with glove and shake until you hear it start to pop. Listen. When there are a couple seconds between kernals popping: remove and turn stove off. Be careful of steam when opening. It will be very hot. Place Popcorn in a large paper bag, sprinkle with Black Truffle Salt and shake. Pour into bowl and serve with a glass of Champagne. If you do not have a bag, just put into your favorite bowl, sprinkle and then mix with a spoon. Add salt to taste.
This is the quick way to indulge. If you do not want to cheat and take your time: feel free to make from scratch. You can melt butter, add Black Truffle Oil and Honey to taste. Then pop popcorn kernals in a sauce pan with lid. Place popcorn in bag or bowl and coat with the Black Truffle Honey Butter Mixture. Also, serve with Champagne.
with Mint Yogurt Sauce
(Boston Scarlette's Recipe)
1. Place large skillet on stove top over MEDIUM heat. Add 1 Tbsp of Coconut Spread. Covered, cook for 10 mins until reach a golden brown color on both sides.
2. Add Pomegranate Cayenne Sauce by Skinny Chef Superfoods. Covered, Let cook another 10 minutes.
3. Uncovered, cook another 5 minutes to reduce the sauce.
4. Place wings on serving platter.
Directions for Dipping Sauce
1. Place plain yogurt in a small bowl.
2. Add fresh chopped mint, honey and lemon. Stir. Add more honey and lemon to taste.
3. Pour over chicken wings.
4. Sprinkle with Pomegranate Seeds.
Preparing the Pomegranate Seeds
1. Cut ends off of Pomegranate.
2. Slice in half. Continue to slice along the veins of the Pomegranate.
3. Gently shake out seeds and use fingers to get the ones left behind.
| || |
(Adapted Recipe from the Skinny Chef's Kaleonaise p.53 & Zuchinni Bites p.45, in "Fifty Shades of Kale")
2 cups of Chopped Kale
Sea Salt to taste
1.5 Cups of Veganaise
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 cup of Roughly Chopped Red Walnuts
3 medium Zuchinni
1. Chop Kale and Red Walnuts.
2. Place Veganaise in a bowl. Add all the ingredients.
3. Stir. Set aside.
4.Slice Zuchinni lengthwise and steam for ten minutes in a large sauce pan. Only steam until tender, but firm to the touch. Do not over cook.
5. Place Zucchini cut side faced up on a lined cookie sheet (aluminum foil).
6. Spread Red Walnut Kale mixture over Zuchinni.
7. Drizzle lightly with Olive Oil and Bake 20 minutes.
8. Remove and let cool slightly. Then slice into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
9. Serve with Wings.
Red Walnut Kale Spread Slide Show
Zuchinni Bites Slide Show
Note: For the original and complete recipes, you can purchase Jennifer Iserloh's cookbook "Fifty Shades of Kale". Just follow the link below to Amazon.